The 143rd Kentucky Derby is May 6th at Churchill Downs in Kentucky and a 70% chance of rain is in the forecast. Finding a good mudder in this group of 20 is nearly impossible. We thank Mike Battaglia, the odds maker at Churchill Downs, for giving us a morning line favorite at 4-1, Classic Empire, but come race day his odds will plummet from that enticing 4-1.
Mudders with potential:
Spyder Boys Propulsion Pant,Ski Snowboarding Pants, Sulfur, Size 8 (Boys) NWTClassic Empire (4-1): Broke his maiden on a wet surface at Churchill Downs in 2016. Veteran rider Julien Leparoux has been aboard for all of Classic Empire’s starts.
Tapwrit (20-1): Also broke his maiden over a wet surface. My concern with Tapwrit is that his head is not in the game. He’s worth at look in a superfecta at this price and on Derby Day.
Sportex Carboflex ClassX CX 2400 Spinn-rute Spinrute CX2400 2,40m 10g AngelruteSportex Carboflex ClassX CX2100 Spinn-rute Spinrute 2,10m 10g Rute AngelruteGormley (15-1): Also has a win on a wet surface in California, but a wet surface in Southern California is very different than a wet surface in Kentucky. The only advantage for Gormley is his veteran jockey, Victor Espinoza. Gormley races well in California but the ship to Kentucky is a mystery.
Battle of Midway (30-1): Another California shipper who broke his maiden on a wet Santa Anita surface. Finished second behind Gormley in the Santa Anita Derby, has always been in the money in all of his four races. In a very scattered Derby, this horse deserves a look, especially at this price.
The Real Deals:
Classic Empire has been on my radar (and everyone else’s) Sportex FBC Carp 11ft 2,75lb 3,30m Karpfenrute Sportexrute Angelrute Stalkersince he won the Breeders’ Cup Juvenile. He’s kind of a sassy horse. He’s been known to train when he feels like it, but certainly shows up for the race. With his veteran jockey, consistent money finishes on his resume, and can run on a wet surface, Classic Empire lands on the top of my list. Besides all that, he’s American Pharaoh’s little brother. So the pedigree is perfect.
Spyder Girls Ski Snowboarding Thrill Athletic Fit Pants, Size 18 (Girl's),NWTSpyder Kids Mini Propulsion Bib Pants, Snow Pants Size 2T Boy's, NWT
McCracken (5-1): McCracken finished third in his last race behind Practical Joke and Irap in the Bluegrass, but again, he didn’t need to win because he was already in with his win in the Sam F. Davis Stakes. Until the Bluegrass, McCracken was undefeated, and veteran jockey Brian Hernandez, Jr. has been with him from the first race.Sportex Feeder-rute Angel-rute Rapid Method Feeder 12ft MF3622 3,70m 10-40g
Filling out the Superfecta:
Always Dreaming (5-1): Three wins in a row for Always Dreaming since veteran jock Johnny Velazquez took over, but only one graded stakes win, the Florida Derby, which he needed to get to Churchill Downs. A veteran rider, but little graded stakes experience and no races on a wet track. However, he’s been training well at Churchill and has put in some impressive bullet works since he arrived.
Spyder Mens Downhill Ski Racing full Suit Non-Padded adult large spiderwebsSpyder Olympia Snow Pant - Youth Girls - 10, Turkish SeaSPYDER Size XS Red Navy bluee Snow Ski Skirt
Thunder Snow (20-1):Sportex Hegene Hegenenrute 2,10m 2 Spitzen Renkenrute Felchenrute Corregone Rute This is the European entry. Entering the gates as a multiple graded stakes winner in Europe with extremely impressing speed figures, but has no American racing experience and has ran most of his races at sprint distances. The check mark on this horse goes to the connections and that the fields in Europe are bigger than they are here. The UAE Derby, which Thunder Snow won, had 15 entries. He will not be shy of the 20 in the gate.
State of Honor (30-1): I wanted to make this horse my superfecta filler, but he has one knock: His jockey, Jose Lezcano. Julien Leparoux has been on State of Honor for his last four races, which were stakes races, and in which State of Honor finished on the board all four times. But, Leparoux is also the jockey for Classic Empire. (What a choice?) This Mark Casse trainee gets a definite look and will be taking superfecta money come post time.
Practical Joke (20-1) was doing fine until he got into races with the other Derby contenders then he couldn’t seem to get around Gunnevera, Classic Empire or Irap. He has no wet surface races, doesn’t like the distance or the crowds.
- SunTour XC MTB 3x6-Spd Index Friction Thumb Shifters NEW NOS Vintage-NIB
- VINTAGE YORK BARBELL 20 LB DUMBELL SET OF 2 PRE USA STAMP
- Women's Adizero Tempo 9 Running shoes Clear Mint Mystery Ink Hi Res AQUA 6.5 M US
- Daiwa 13 Certate 2510PE-H Spinning Reel Used From Japan
- Bobster Fuel Eyewear Fuel Photochromic Goggles
- CONDOR Low-Profile T&T Tactical Tool Gear Utility MOLLE Pouch MultiCam
- E-Bike 36V 20.3Ah Batterie Vélo Electrique Liebe-Bike Flight Byocycles
- Giro Dnd Fahrradhandschuh red black Größe XL 2017 Volle Finger
- High Power 20000lm 5xXM-L2 LED Diving Flashlight Waterproof Light Torch 6x18650
- Magma Products, 10-665 Radiant Plate & Dome Assembly, Marine Kettle 2 Stove &
- New Vans Hi Standard OG 2019 Men's Size 9 Snowboard Boots Laces Green orange
- Park Tool CRS-1 Crown Race Setter For 1 and 1-1 8 Headsets
- shoes rp9 sh-rp901sn blue navi taglia 49 ESHRP9PC490SN00 SHIMANO shoes bici
- Tactical 3pcs Green LED Hunting Flashlight Long Range Hog Predator Varmint Light
- DAM MAD Transformer Car-Go Barr - Modell 8472 011 105 x 95 x 95 - 105cm
- Garmin 7-Pin Power Data Cable w 90 Connector
- Imakatsu Gillroid Boots Tail Floating Lure 644 (6689)
- Marmot Men's Articulated Knee Mountaineering Pants Size X-Large
- NEW Dragon Alliance DXS Mind Melt 2 Pink bluee Snowboarding Goggles, Sz Med SM